Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday dinner: Crock pot chicken chili

Since we moved into our own apartment, I decided that, on Sundays, I'll try a new recipe that I found on Pinterest. It will give me a reason to make something new and to try all those yummy looking recipes I see. This Sunday is the first day I'm trying this. I did chicken chili in the crock pot. This is the original recipe. I made some changes as I went along. It turned out a lot spicier than I had expected and I had to add things to make it less spicy. Next time I will just cut things out of the recipe. It was very delicious though and I will definitely be making it again. This is what I did.


1 onion, chopped
1 16 oz can of black beans
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
1 16 oz can of corn, drained
1 can of rotel (I used the original kind with chile peppers in it. Unless you like things extremely spicy, only use 1 can instead of 2.)
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chili powder
3 chicken breasts (the original recipe says to leave them frozen but I let them thaw just to be safe.)
(I also added a can of diced tomatoes but that was to make it less spicy. If you want more tomatoes I'd suggest adding it.)

Combine onion, beans, sauce, corn, rotel, and seasonings in crock pot.
Place the chicken on top.
Cook on high until chicken is cooked. Pull the chicken apart with a fork and then mix the pulled chicken into the crock pot. Cook on low until done.

I only cooked it for 4 hours and it was done. The recipe said 6 hours on high but I didn't think it needed that long. I think it might have been because my crock pot is small. I'm feeding myself and Josh off of this recipe and we will most likely have left overs. If you try the recipe let me know what you think or if you did anything differently. Enjoy!

P.S. The picture doesn't look very good but it tasted and smelled very good.

7 comments:

  1. This does look yummy and I love anything you can make in the crock pot!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds awesome!! Thanks for sharing your recipe, can't wait to try it. Love easy and yummy crock pot recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that sounds so good! I love crock pot recipes {I'm all about easy meals} and I particularly appreciate recipes that are lactose free since my hubby can't do dairy! So glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made Chicken Chili but it sounds great, looks yummy too! Crock pot meals are the best. Can't wait to try it out.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I will be trying this recipe soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always thankful to have crockpot meals on hand and this is just the type of recipe that is great for skating parties. :)

    ReplyDelete