Sunday, December 16, 2012

Best birthday ever

Friday was my 20th birthday. I woke up the morning of my birthday especially early. I'd fallen asleep earlier than normal the night before and woke up unable to fall back asleep around 4 in the morning. I was turning 20. It was all I could think of. I was no longer a teenager. I was growing up. Josh snored next to me and I smiled as he mumbled something in his sleep. Around 7 he got up and got ready for work. We had a cup of coffee together and kissed goodbye. The morning past rather uneventfully. Josh's mom, Ann, took me to Coopersville and I filled out applications for apartments and we got lunch at Taco Bell. We did a little shopping for my birthday dinner, picked up my cake, and came back to the house. Ann wouldn't let me see the cake. It was a surprise. She was mad because the bakery had apparently messed up the colors on the cake. She started dinner and Josh got home. I chose Stir Fry and onion rings for my birthday dinner. (Don't judge. It sounded good.) Then they unveiled the cake. At first I didn't know what it was. They finally told me that it was supposed to be the main character from the book I'm writing. I was so surprised. I didn't care that the bakery had messed up on her hair or her gun. It was awesome. I blew out the candles and finished eating. Finally, it was present time. I ripped the wrapping off of the big box. Inside was a bunched up plastic grocery bag and a bunched up paper grocery bag. I pulled them out. Inside the paper bag was a smaller box. I opened it and inside was a smaller box. I pulled it out and opened it. Inside was a little angel pin. Josh said it reminded him of a character off of Doctor Who (my favorite show). I was looking at it, wondering when I would ever wear it when I looked up. Right next to me was the sliding door to go outside. It was dark outside so I could see our reflection. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Josh's reflection and he was getting on one knee. I slowly turned and started crying.
"Will you marry me?" he said.
I cried harder and said "of course I will!" I pulled him into a hug before he could even stand up. I was crying and shaking as he put the ring on my finger.
Ann was crying. She was recording the whole thing. I laughed when I realized the angel pin was just a decoy gift to the even bigger gift I was about to receive. 
If you would like to watch him propose, you can watch it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment